Monday, September 15, 2008

Post-Op Day 5 (sunday)

Sorry there's no update for yesterday (post-op day 5) but I was exhausted after a long day and don't know if I could have put my frustration into words. These last 2 days here have been horrible. Teagan has been put back on oxygen because she couldn't maintain her sats and today is inconsolable. The hardest part about being in the hospital is the constant disruption of sleep and I've never seen Teagan more sleep deprived. I think that everyone was a little too eager to have her take all of her feeds and meds by mouth (she hasn't done this at home for over a month) and it completely exhausted her. Her wound on her chest is painful for her and now she has a large blister that wraps around her foot from the tape/sensor they use for the sat monitor. These things combined with the iv infultrate wrist ordeal last time have basically pushed me to the limit in my patience with the different staff and personnel around here. I loved our care in the ICU but it always seems like these 'fluke' things happen to Teag the longer we're here and I'm so tempted to unhook her from everything and run!

I definitely expressed my opinion yesterday, (hopefully to the right people) and we now have a new plan of action. We're going to leave Teag off of oxygen for 24 hours and if she does ok then we'll get to leave. This morning they did an echo around her chest wound and were able to see enough to know that her heart function is good. They also did a chest x ray that showed a little fluid but nothing major. I know that once we get her home Teag can rest and heal the way she should be so I'm praying that we're out of here tommorrow. I've been doing all of her care here in the room (feeds, meds, dressing changes, etc...) just like we'd be doing at home.

Sorry this post is so horrible. I'm just plain exhausted and ready to be out of here. After missing Gav's birthday yesterday and being away from him for almost 2 weeks I can't wait to get him back in my arms! Please pray that Teag will be able to stay off of oxygen so we can get out of here and for patience for Trent and I as we work together with the staff here to care for our little bug!

One good thing that happened last night after no sleep at all. The nurse brought in a real hospital bed and made Teag a little spot next to me so we can sleep together and I can comfort her better. Here are a few pics from yesterday: (again of her wound- just a warning!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Thanks for the update. We are praying for you guys and love you so much! The rainbow comes after the storm. Come on rainbow! You'll be home before you know it and Gavin will be a very happy guy! He has been so great and we're having lots of fun with glitter "cow" glue, stickers and cuttings. We have lots of hugs for you! Love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

I am praying for an added measure of strength for you, You're both amazing, I don't know how you do it day after day with no sleep and all these new challenges!
It will be wonderful to get home, be together and get some rest.
And let the healing begin!
love you all so much,
hugs,
nana and Papa M.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how drained you must feel and how much you must miss your adorable little man!! It sounds like he's in great hands though and having fun! I will definatly pray that Teagan can come off oxygen and you can hit the road:) Her poor skin wound looks awful and painful...I was noticing though that it rather resembles the shape of a heart, kinda sweet if you can find anything sweet in a terrible owie (sp?) Prayers that it will heal quickly! Love, Krista

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Katie Allred's aunt Kerry. Just wanted to tell you that you are in our thoughts and prayers. We have been following Teagan since birth through Katie's blog. She is such a beauty! Just want to tell you to hang in there. Things will get better. We hope you are able to come home soon. You heart moms are AMAZING!! Take care and we wish you a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Susie

You hang in there!! That precious baby Teagan is doing so well...in spite of "things"...that have happened!!....we are rooting for all of you, remember with each day...your closer to home!

Love, Susie Stewart, Maddie's Nany

The Simmons Family said...

You have every right to be frustrated. That chest wound looks so painful... no wonder she's not herself. Owen was there for 30 days post Glenn and in the end I was just like "I'm leaving, I'll be back if I need to be". He thrived at home! I pray that you get out of there SOON and that poor Teags can heal up and get some rest!!

Andrea

The Simmons Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey @ Enjoying Healthy Foods said...

I just came across your blog. I am praying for you and your family. Teagan is a beautiful baby. I hope that the storm is near end for your family and especially for little Teagan.